Metuchen Collectible Figures
Now only $15 each , with all proceeds benefiting the
historic Old Franklin Schoolhouse
The company that makes the wooden figures of local landmarks for the Borough Improvement League, Hometowne Collectibles, retired, but we're working with a new company, Cats Meow, to make our figures, and they are just as wonderful - and slightly less expensive! So, they are now only $15 each, and can be ordered online and shipped if needed.
Click below to purchase the figures online:
New in 2017!
Tommy's Pond/Thomas Park
( released at the Metuchen Country Fair in October)
New in 2016!
259 Main Street - the Tappen House
(the first home in the series, released at the Metuchen Country Fair in October)
Metuchen Railroad Station, released in October 2012.
In 1836, the first train came through the village of Metuchen on the newly laid line of the New Jersey Railroad, and schoolchildren were given an extra hour at noontime to see the amazing “iron horse” make its way down the tracks. The first station was near New Durham Road and Middlesex Avenue, but soon another was built at Main Street and Woodbridge Avenue, which residents considered to be the center of town. Other 19th century village stations included the Robinvale Station at Grove Avenue and the two-story Lake Avenue Station, built 1870. In 1871 the Pennsylvania Railroad (PRR) took over the line, and the Easton and Amboy Railroad also laid tracks via a deep cut roughly parallel to Amboy Avenue. Later operated by the Lehigh Valley Railroad (LVRR) and now the Middlesex Greenway, that line had a station and connection with the PRR at Lake Avenue. In 1888, the PRR’s Lake Avenue station was pulled down, the tracks were elevated over Main Street, and the current station was built for just over $6600 using a standard PRR design, “#2665B, Brick Station and Dwelling.” Originally, the station had a slate roof, cresting, and an exterior with half-timbering, brick, clapboard, and scalloped shingles. It received a Determination of Eligibility for the National Register of Historic Places in 1977, was renovated in 1979, and remains at the center of a thriving community on NJ TRANSIT’s Northeast Corridor, with over 4000 passengers and 100 train stops daily.